Book Reviews

‘The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours.’ Alan Bennett

“Many a book is like a key to unknown chambers within the castle of one’s own self.” ― Franz Kafka

Wednesday 19 December 2012

Best Books of 2012

Best Books of 2012 - My favourite fiction reads this year

I have read a large number of very good books this year. It was very hard indeed to compile a list as short as this, but I felt if I didn't limit myself a bit, I would go on forever. These were my very favourites. I'm looking forward to reading other books of the year posts and finding out what everyone else has enjoyed reading in 2012. Have you read any of these books? What were your favourites this year?
(clicking on the book titles takes you to my full review of the book)




























I'd also like to give a special mention to the following books which I loved:

Dominion by C. J. Sansom, Bad Moon Rising by Frances di Plino, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce, The Holy Thief and The Bloody Meadow by William Ryan, The Flight by M. R. Hall, The Post Office Girl by Stefan Zweig, My Policeman by Bethan Roberts, The Queen's Secret by Victoria Lamb, Tom-All-Alone's by Lynn Shepherd, Tony Hogan Bought me an Ice-Cream Float before he Stole my Ma by Kerry Hudson, Vanished by Liza Marklund, Ninepins by Rosy Thornton, When Nights Were Cold by Susanna Jones, Wonder by R. J. Palacio, Season of Light by Katharine McMahon, Where the Devil Can't Go by Anya Lipska, The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey, The Good Father by Diane Chamberlain, Bereft by Chris Womersley, Killing Cupid by Mark Edwards and Louise Voss, Defending Jacob by William Landay and The Colour of Milk by Nell Leyshon.

And there are still so many more that I enjoyed very much too...!

Wishing you all lots of enjoyable, moving, challenging and rewarding reading in 2013!

Lindsay 

15 comments:

  1. I love these end-of-the-year lists because they introduce me to new books in a very efficient way. Two of my favorites this year are Rachel Joyce's The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and Jonas Jonasson's The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (which was just a lot of fun).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too, I agree it's great to find out about so many new books this way, and interesting to see if there are similarities too. Thanks for telling me about a couple of your favourites too. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Great recommendations - many on my TBR list - moving them up the pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for commenting Ali and for sharing my list, I appreciate it. I hope you enjoy the ones you've got on yout TBR.

      Delete
  3. Yay! 5 shared titles. Heft, The Street Sweeper, The Girl Who Fell from the Sky, HHhH and Tell the Wolves I'm Home are all on my "Best of 2012" too! I'll have to try the rest of these now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked these books so much too Jackie! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful list!
    You and Jackie do have a similar taste in books.
    I have already put a few on my wish list.
    I might have to look at Tell the Wolves I'm Home as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline. I'd love to hear what you think of Tell the Wolves I'm Home. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. You're commenting on my blog just as I was about to comment on yours! I haven't read a single book on your main list but I did enjoy the William Ryan and Anya Lipska books on your other list. Here's to a productive 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Lindsay, for listing THE GLASS GUARDIAN in your best of 2012. I'm honoured to be included in such good company.

    Thanks also for your original review which was wonderful. I'll be quoting from it on the back cover of the paperback, to be published in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWESOME LIST....I haven't read any of these. More books for my toppling TBR pile.

    Have a great day!!! Thanks for stopping by my post for my favorite books.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list! I already had Tell the Wolves I'm Home on my list for next year, but added several of your other favourites. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been dying to read The Light Between Oceans since it came out and now it's in such a select group of favorites it has been bumped to the top of my list of 'books to buy ASAP'. Brilliant list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great list of recommendations, especially for those of us who take longer to get around to all the wonderful books out there. I am especially interested in The Glass Guardian and The Light Between Oceans - they have to be at the top of my list for 2013!
    Thanks Lindsay and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful list, Lindsay! I have only heard of Simon Mawer from your list. I remember he was nominated for the Booker prize a few years back. The title of his book looks like that of a Stieg Larsson's book though :) My favourite title out of your favourite books is 'The Colour of Milk'.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. It's great reading your comments and I really appreciate them :)