Book Reviews

‘The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours.’ Alan Bennett

“Many a book is like a key to unknown chambers within the castle of one’s own self.” ― Franz Kafka

Monday 2 June 2014

The Julian Chapter - R. J. Palacio





'I know it can't be easy for him to look in the mirror every day, or walk down the street. But that's not my problem. My problem is that everything's different since he's been coming to my school. The kids are different. I'm different. And it sucks big-time.'


Just a quick little review of this one really. I was delighted to have the chance to read this when I heard about it, and I thought this little story was brilliant, such a great idea to write a story to show the other side of things and it adds more to the original tale for those readers who absolutely loved the novel, Wonder, (like me!).

It's a moving tale and I love how Julian's feelings were explored and shown so honestly, however unpleasant they were, and how he was able to finally confront his actions, and I liked how the past was brought into the story too.

Having read Wonder, we know Auggie's deepest feelings, now we can see what Julian was thinking and feeling, his behaviour is not excused but we can begin to understand.

Thank you to Lauren at the publisher for kindly sending me a review copy of this story.

Published in ebook format by Random House Children's Books

3 comments:

  1. I have not read Wonder but a few Google searches gives me a picture as to how this fits in. Looks to be a great idea to put this out. Wonder as well as this addendum looks very good and I want to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for your comment Brian. Wonder was a really good read.

      Delete
  2. Oops. I was sent this to review as well and I completely forgot about it until now!

    I completely and totally fell in love with Wonder though - I didn't expect it to be my kind of thing but it blew me away. I should probably just get on with it and read this one! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. It's great reading your comments and I really appreciate them :)