Book Reviews

‘The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours.’ Alan Bennett

“Many a book is like a key to unknown chambers within the castle of one’s own self.” ― Franz Kafka

Tuesday 22 April 2014

Tuesday Intro: Wolfsangel by Liza Perrat



First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea - every Tuesday, sharing the first paragraph (or a few) of a book you are currently reading or thinking about reading soon. Visit the blog here to join in.

I'm reading Wolfsangel by Liza Perrat.

I really enjoyed Spirit of Lost Angels, by the same author, and I've found myself drawn into this story very quickly too and keen to see what happens next. 


First paragraph

'We gather in the cemetery, before the ossuary, with the straggle of other remaining survivors and their families. Our heads dipped, the mayor beings his memorial speech to commemorate the tragedy that became a legend around these parts; the evil that part of me still believes was the result of my own reckless actions.'


Synopsis

Seven decades after German troops march into her village, Céleste Roussel is still unable to assuage her guilt.

1943. German soldiers occupy provincial Lucie-sur-Vionne, and as the villagers pursue treacherous schemes to deceive and swindle the enemy, Céleste embarks on her own perilous mission as her passion for a Reich officer flourishes.

When her loved ones are deported to concentration camps, Céleste is drawn into the vortex of this monumental conflict, and the adventure and danger of French Resistance collaboration.

As she confronts the harrowing truths of the Second World War’s darkest years, Céleste is forced to choose: pursue her love for the German officer, or answer General de Gaulle’s call to fight for France.

Her fate suspended on the fraying thread of her will, Celeste gains strength from the angel talisman bequeathed to her through her lineage of healer kinswomen. But the decision she makes will shadow the remainder of her days.

A woman’s unforgettable journey to help liberate Occupied France, Wolfsangel is a stirring portrayal of the courage and resilience of the human mind, body and spirit.

23 comments:

  1. Humm, not quite sure if I'd keep going. I'm a little burned out on WWII books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying it a lot but I do know what you mean!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and commenting JoAnn. I'm really enjoying it so far.

      Delete
  3. I like the setting and intro, so I would keep reading.

    My Tuesday intro: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/04/first-chapter-first-paragraph-58.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and commenting Catherine, glad you like the sound of this one.

      Delete
  4. I keep seeing this book around and have added it to my wish list based on all the positive reviews. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear you've seen this one other places too. Thanks, I am enjoying it so far. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. This sounds really good and my kind of read, although I might not read it just yet. I've only recently finished reading Jodi Picoult's The Storyteller for our local book group and need a break from WWII. Thanks for highlighting it, Lins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the sound of it Kath. I have The Storyteller to read, wonder what you thought of it?

      Delete
    2. It was well done, definitely worth reading, particularly the middle section (Minka's story). I had hoped for a different ending because that threw up so many questions, so I look forward to having a chat with you & seeing if you think the same once you've had a chance to read it.

      Delete
  6. Not really my genre either, but if beautifully down it can be very touching. Glad you are enjoying it.
    My post is here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peggy for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an intriguing story...thanks for sharing. And thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the intro-- keep reading it sounds good

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard a lot about this book. Most of what I have heard has sounded good. The era and events that the story revolves around are so very interesting.

    I look forward to your commentary when you are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every bit as good as and even better than the first book in the series. Liza Perrat is an amazing story teller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you review of this one Tracy, agree with you and really enjoying it.

      Delete
  11. Not my first genre choice but I do like the sounds of it Lynz, thanks for reviewing

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. It's great reading your comments and I really appreciate them :)