Book Reviews

‘The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours.’ Alan Bennett

“Many a book is like a key to unknown chambers within the castle of one’s own self.” ― Franz Kafka

Tuesday 24 December 2013

Other recommended reads from 2013


Still looking for reading ideas? As well as my favourite reads post, here are some other books I read in 2013 that I would recommend. You'll find reviews of a lot of these here.


Novels from my favourite authors

There were novels I read in 2013 from some of my favourite writers, all of which I enjoyed very much, and would recommend:

The Memory of Lost Senses by Judith Kinghorn
Human Remains by Elizabeth Haynes
Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain
The Lost by Claire McGowan
The World is a Wedding by Wendy Jones









A Heart Bent Out of Shape by Emylia Hall
The Twelfth Department by William Ryan
Emotional Geology by Linda Gillard
A Treacherous Likeness by Lynn Shepherd
Bellman and Black by Diane Setterfield
Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay
Walk Me Home by Catherine Ryan Hyde






Debut novels


I'd also like to mention the following super debut novels I discovered in 2013, consider giving some of them a try if you missed them:

The Library of Unrequited Love by Sophie Divry
How to be a Good Wife by Emma Chapman
The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin
The Night Rainbow by Claire King
Kiss Me First by Lottie Moggach
Amity & Sorrow by Peggy Riley
The Beauty of Murder by AK Benedict
The Silent Wife by ASA Harrison
Pictures at an Exhibition by Camilla Macpherson
Someday We'll Tell Each Other Everything by Daniela Krien
Behind Closed Doors by JJ Marsh
Dance the Moon Down by R. L. Bartram



Authors who I read for the first time

Some books below which I enjoyed a lot, by authors who were new reading for me this year, though these books aren't their first books (I don't think - apologies if I've got any of them wrong):

The Promise by Ann Weisgarber
Snow White Must Die by Nele Neuhaus
The Cry by Helen Fitzgerald
Heading Out to Wonderful by Robert Goolrick
Elijah's Mermaid by Essie Fox
Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
His Father's Son by Tony Black
Dead Simple by Peter James
The Blood Whisperer by Zoe Sharp
The Perfume Garden by Kate Lord Brown
The Last Family in England by Matt Haig



Books for children/young adults

These were lovely reads:


Frost Hollow Hall by Emma Carroll
A Place Called Perfect by Helena Duggan
Kellie at Come-alive Cottage by Wendy Unsworth
Myopia by Jeff Gardiner
The Quietness by Alison Rattle
The Secret Lake by Karen Inglis
Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught






Non-fiction

I hoped to read more non-fiction this year than I actually have, so I'll have to try and continue with that next year. An excellent book I read this year was Touretteshero by Jessica Thom. 















I think that's it for the reading round-ups for now. Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. I liked Necessary Lies. Bellman and Black was good but I liked The Thirteenth Tale better. :)

    THANKS for sharing. Going to check out the other titles.

    ENJOY your reading week and your Christmas week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Elizabeth, and enjoy your holidays too :)

      Delete
  2. I see The Orchardist in your list too. I LOVED that book as well.

    THANKS again for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amity and Sorrow is such an amazing debut. I encouraged my Mum to buy a copy and she is reading it now - safe to say, she loves it (and is making me want to re-read it already). Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I have read any of these, I get so many recommends from you, temptress!

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thrilled to see The Promise on your recommended list. Woweee....!

    Lindsay, you work hard to spread the word about books and this note comes to you with my sincere thanks. Happy New Year and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. It's great reading your comments and I really appreciate them :)