Book Reviews

‘The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours.’ Alan Bennett

“Many a book is like a key to unknown chambers within the castle of one’s own self.” ― Franz Kafka

Thursday 2 August 2012

Killing Cupid - Louise Voss & Mark Edwards



'Cupid...has chosen us. Our hearts were his target, and his aim doesn't lie. Siobhan and I are meant to be together.'

Siobhan McGowan is starting out tutoring a writing course for the first time, and amongst the small group of attendees that come along is a man named Alex Parkinson. Alex quickly becomes obsessed with Siobhan, believing he is in love with her. He proceeds to behave very strangely; his infatuation leads him to carry out actions that he thinks will draw her to him and make her love him in return as much as he loves her. Somehow, at the time, he convinces himself, or indeed genuinely believes, that this behaviour is the way to go, and that this approach will be a success. Alex believes he 'was just a boy in love, following a long tradition of people gripped by love, by the madness and passion invoked by that emotion, obsessed - I admit it - but dangerous?'

Siobhan is shocked by his actions at first, and admits to herself that 'there's just something...I don't know what exactly...which unsettles me about him.' She warns him off, and eventually his interest in her does seem to wain as his head is turned by someone else. What a relief for Siobhan, I thought. She wanted him to leave her alone, didn't she? But no, because now that she is no longer the object of this stalker's affections and attentions, she is indignant. Why has he stopped persuing her? Is he really no longer interested in her? 

This novel skips along at a quick pace, and is a real page-turner. I was engrossed by the way Alex pursued Siobhan in his own strange, twisted way in part one of the book, wondering what on earth he would do next in his pattern of creepy, unsettling behaviour. Then I was even more surprised and intrigued by the turn of events in part two, as Siobhan sets about her own course of action with regard to Alex.

This turned my expectations and assumptions about the story on their head, and I was turning the pages quickly, wondering how would this all end? The narrative alternates between the two viewpoints of Alex and Siobhan regularly throughout the novel, and with both accounts written in the first person, we get right inside the minds of this rather disturbed, mixed-up pair. We learn more about Alex, and the person from his past who lies at the heart of his insecurities, and as the story progresses, we discover another side to Siobhan. Two people, both tired of being alone, and the authors exploring the lengths people will go to out of desire and obsession.

I enjoyed the part that writing has to play in this story too, including the stories that Alex produces, and that Siobhan was once a published writer previously, and wonders if she ever will be again. This gives the writers the opportunity to add some observations in the novel about writing and publishing, through these characters.

The story made me laugh at times too; I loved this moment when Alex has entered Siobhan's house, unknown to her, whilst she is out, and he thinks he has heard her return home and may find him there: 'I was terrified that she was going to open the door - not because I didn't want to see her, but I thought it might harm our relationship if she found me crouched in her wardrobe.' Brilliant!

A dark, twisted psychological thriller that is a compulsive read. 

Published by Harper, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers, on 2nd August 2012

Thank you to the authors and the publisher for kindly sending a copy of this novel to read and review.

You can follow the authors on twitter @mredwards and @louisevoss1 and visit their website here.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks again Lins for highlighting a book that wouldn't have crossed my radar. Excellent review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Shaz. This is a really good read, as is Catch Your Death, also by the same authors.

      Delete
  2. What a coincidence I just read a review of this on notesoflife.co.uk left a comment to say I would be reading it soon, then called in on you. I've now read and enjoyed your review and haven’t changed my mind. I really want to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, I hope you enjoy this one! Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  3. Haha this is a bizarre thing to say but if ever I fancy a chilling read I tend to be drawn to obsessive stalker type books (Enduring Love is one of my favourites) so may give this a go next time I am in the mood for a scare! Great review.

    Marie
    www.girlvsbookshelf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Marie, lol this would be a good one for you then when you're next in that kind of mood! :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds interesting. I have this on my shelf to read. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for visiting and commenting. Hope you enjoy this one.

      Delete
  5. This one sounds hilarious and different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Melissa. It's a really good read!

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for this review. I think it's the best review of one of our books I've ever read! It's so lovely when someone really 'gets it'. And thanks to the other commenters on here - if you do read Killing Cupid, I really hope you enjoy it.

    You can find me on Twitter @mredwards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment Mark. I really appreciate it. And thank you for your kind words about my review, means a lot to this blogger!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. It's great reading your comments and I really appreciate them :)